Being a Good Board Member
This course provides the essential overview for new trustees or those who want to refresh their understanding of their duties. It covers legal obligations, good practice, common challenges and how the role and responsibilities relate to the whole organisation.
What is this course about?This course helps organisations and trustees be clear on the role, responsibilities, duties and mutual expectations of being on a charity board. In just 2.5 hours, we'll cover:
- The practicalities of being a trustee and working with the Chair, Chief Executive, Treasurer, and so on.
- How to avoid common mistakes, and how to make being a trustee rewarding and productive.
- Good practice, and how to learn from colleagues and other organisations.
What will you learn?
- Recognise your organisational structure.
- Roles and responsibilities of board members.
- Analyse the strategic role of the board versus the management role.
- Principles of good governance.
- How to recognise bad practice relating to boards, and develop solutions.
Why is it this course relevant or important at the moment?Over half the Charity Commission's investigations into complaints or concerns about charities completed in 2011-12 involve basic failures of trusteeship. Trustees failed to act according to their organisation's governing document, failed to manage conflicts of interest and failed to oversee fundraising and finance effectively. These are all basic errors that could have been avoided if the organisations involved had simple information and the understanding of a trustee's roles and responsibilities. In the current climate, strong governance is more important than ever for charities to manage risk and achieve their goals. Trustees need to get the basics right - not just to avoid problems, but to make sure they get the satisfaction and leadership they want from the relationship.
Quotes from previous participants:
- "A good balance of information and interaction that achieved all the aims. Well-delivered with great enthusiasm!”
- “Very good session; hit all the relevant points.”
- "Excellent quality facilitation and knowledge, really good value for money, and the local venue was great."
Who is the course for?
- New and existing board members or trustees.
- Anyone thinking about joining a board.
- Those who work with boards and want a new perspective.
- Standard price: £94
- Voscur Members: £55
- Voscur Affiliates: £77
What else do you need to know?The type of constitution your organisation has, and its legal identity, such as a Limited Company, Trust, Community Interest Company, etc. Voscur is monitoring the situation with COVID-19 and this course will be running online. We have made this decision in line with local and national health advice, and to safeguard the health of our attendees and staff. To take part, you will need a laptop with a camera, microphone, and Wi-Fi. You won't need any other software. You will be emailed an invitation with a link to join the online training the day before the course. For more information about coronavirus, click here.
CancellationsPlease see our Terms and Conditions