Whether you’ve found the perfect partnership, or you’re looking to scale up for greater sustainability, making sure you get your organisational values aligned is essential. Successful mergers work because of shared values – not just sharing balance sheets.
This course will give you an introduction to the merger process, the pros and cons, what to consider and the key legal issues.
What is this course about?
Recent research suggests competition between charities is having a negative impact on the sector, organisations, beneficiaries and communities. Where there’s competition, however, there must also be common aims, values, clients and purpose. That’s why mergers tend to happen when there’s overlap between organisations and they realise that working together is in the interests both of their clients and themselves.
Mergers also happen when one organisation needs help to deal with difficulties – and the pandemic has thrown up more than a fair share of challenges, of course - but even these scenarios can lead to better outcomes all round.
Even in cases when organisations proactively explore merger from positions of strength, it can lead to a situation where it feels like one organisation is “taking over” another, rather than coming together to pool skills and resources on equal terms.
This course sets out the foundations for the most positive and intentional approach to increasing partnership working and merger. It explores:
- How to ensure values are best aligned (as well as financial due diligence).
- How to make mergers equitable and enabling, despite the difficult decisions that almost inevitably have to be made as part of the process.
What will you learn?
- We will give you a clear overview of how the merger process typically develops.
- The possible positive and negative implications of merger for different stakeholders (e.g. users, funders, partners, staff).
- Due diligence – on values and ethos as well as finances and assets.
- Internal and external communications during the merger process.
- Key legal issues to consider for a charity merger.
- Actions post-merger (or other outcome if a merger isn’t completed).
Who is this course for?
Trustees and organisation leaders.
Standard price: £94
Discounted rates for Voscur Members and Affiliates:
Voscur Members: £55
Voscur Affiliates: £77
Voscur membership is free for small organisations.
If you would like to benefit from VCSE Academy discounts and other benefits, you can register for Voscur membership today.
What else do you need to know?
This course is scheduled to run online, to take part, you will need a laptop with a camera, microphone, and Wi-Fi. You won't need any other software.
You will be emailed an invitation with a link to join the online training the day before the course.
For more information about coronavirus, see https://www.voscur.org/content/covid19-service-users
CancellationsPlease see our Terms and Conditions